Thursday, October 25, 2007

Wednesday Wonder

As you may recall, I haven't really been out of the house much after the sun sets lately. Eliot's reaction after our last night out brought our attempts at adult fun to a standstill. Last night, I had the much anticipated meeting to jury the applications for the Rock N Roll Craft Show and I was a little worried about how he was going to react to me being gone for the evening, especially at bedtime.

I think Justin was a little worried too, as he was going to be the owner of the ears on the receiving end of Eliot's screams. I tried to stay positive. Justin was a little harder to convince. Around 6:00, I grabbed my purse and gave them both kisses, telling Justin to call if E flipped his wig (though I'm quite sure he didn't need that advice).

My phone rang a little bit after I arrived at the meeting. I didn't hear any screaming, and Justin just asked where we were keeping the rice cereal these days. Another hour passed, it was a bit past Eliot's bedtime when he called again. Still no screaming. "He's still awake," Justin said. "Is he crying?" No. Justin still didn't seem convinced that this was going to work. He tried to put Eliot in his bed twice and was met with maximum resistance. "Just keep doing what you're doing," I said, "and call me if he starts losing it".

Fifteen minutes later, my phone rang again. It was Justin. This is it, I thought, he's finally off his rocker. But he wasn't. "He's asleep," Justin said, beaming. This was a proud moment for both of us. He of himself and me of him.

I feel like this is a major milestone in Eliot's sleep development. Not only did he go to sleep without nursing, or without Mommy for that matter, he slept until well after I got home, and then slept fairly well all night. He even woke up crying for about 2 seconds and then settled himself back to sleep. And tonight he was awake when I put him in his crib and he babbled himself to sleep in about 10 minutes. No crying. Ferber method eat your heart out!

The only drawbacks were that I totally missed him, as bedtime is one of my favorite times of the whole day, and that my boobs were busting with unexpressed milk. When I got home I pumped nearly 4 ounces, which is a Wednesday Wonder in and of itself.
















This picture has nothing to do with this post. Who cares? He's cute!

5 comments:

Me? A Mom? said...

This is a fantastic development.

Astrid Rose said...

Here's sending vibes of continuation...sorry that hardly makes sense...I've been in a windowless room for too many hours...

Anonymous said...

i'm so thrilled that daddy accomplished such a feat! go judge!!! ps, E was so super cute eating his bananas. wow!

Unknown said...

Wow, I am so jealous. Ava just had a meltdown the other night when I was gone after dark for 1 hour!

Astrid Rose said...

I miss you and your sweet baby!