Thursday, January 1, 2009

These are NOT Resolutions

I've never been one to make lists of New Year's Resolutions. And when I have jotted down a goal or two, I usually never followed them, at least not permanently. So in the interest of knowing that deep down I have the heart of a procrastinator and the soul of an excuse maker, I'm instead making a list of things that I would like to accomplish in the year 2009 - not actual resolutions. And though this list is technically 'in writing', I make no claims that I will actually do anything. How's that for low expectations?

Heather's Non-Resolutions for 2009:

  • Learn to sew. Properly. I'd like to be able to confidently thread my machine and whip up projects in a day or so. I'd like to be able to make smart-looking handmade gifts. And since the economy is in the shitter, I should probably learn to repair/lengthen/shorten/repurpose our clothes. In this same vein, I'd like to learn to crochet and become an amazing embrioderist. I don't know if that is a word, but I want to be one.
  • Eat better. Yes, this is on everyone's list. I am actually a fairly healthy eater, eating a mostly vegetarian diet consisting of lots of green and bean things. Maybe what I should say is I hope to eat less, especially when it comes to things like dark chocolate covered pretzels and other crack-like sweets. I have limited self-control when it comes to these things.
  • Run more. I'm not committing to running a half-marathon or anything, but I'd like to become a more efficient runner. One that actually loses weight, as opposed to what I do, which is to stay at exactly the same weight after 4 months minus 2 weeks of running. I know, I know, I guess I need to actually eat less to lose weight. Please see previous non-resolution.
  • Get my doula certification through DONA. If you are pregnant, and would like a free inexperienced doula to attend your birth, please let me know. I have limited experience with childbirth outside of my own, but I've been reading quite a bit and I hope to attend a certification workshop in February.
  • Speaking of birth, if all goes well, I am hoping that 2009 will mark the beginning of my last pregnancy. Justin?
  • Figure out a legal way to become independently wealthy. With little to no effort.
  • I will commit to being a better mother in 2009. Not that I suck, in fact, I think I'm pretty great at it. But no one is perfect, and I don't see anything wrong with improvement, especially when it's the most important job I will ever have.
  • Be more humble.
Happy New Year everyone. May all of your non-resolutions come true!

6 comments:

Elizabeth Fleming said...

How about publish a book inspired by your blog as a non-resolution? :) I love your writing voice--you consistently have me laughing and recognizing my own mothering pratfalls in your entries. Fantastic!

Heather said...

You are not helping with my non-resolution to be more humble!

Astrid Rose said...

you make me want to get pregnant just so that I can have you practice your doula-ness on me....

I never said I was wise said...

We're contemplating adding to our family........let me know when you get cert-d

Elizabeth Frick said...

I think you should really focus on that last one ;)
I'm super-excited about the doula thing for you! And I'm more than happy to offer you my sewing, crocheting, or etc. skills. Especially in awesome sentence-writing.

Cassandra said...

Kudos my dear, kudos. One day at a time and you can tackle all of your goals, and then some. ;)