Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Canada-less

So, here we are. Still in Saint Louis.

We were scheduled to leave this morning to FINALLY go visit my cousin Emily and her boys: husband Duncan, and sons Dexter, Neville, and Lewis. I've been doing laundry and buying special normally-off-limits snacks for the trip. I was getting excited, and the travel jitters were setting in as well.

Then Emily called yesterday morning and said, "Guess where I am?" I guessed Saint Louis. I was unfortunately wrong. (I'm always wishing that people I love will surprise me with a visit.) Sadly, they are in the hospital with little Lewis, all of 2.5 years old. He woke up the previous morning with a raging fever and he couldn't walk. It turned out he had a bacterial infection in his hip joint, which required surgery to clean it out. The surgery went well, but they found that he has sepsis (blood poisoning) and a bone infection. He will require 3-4 weeks of IV antibiotics and will probably stay in the hospital for the rest of this week.

Poor little bug. Please send him all your best, most healing thoughts, prayers, chants, songs, whatever. He's a strong little mite and I'm sure he'll be back to terrorizing his parents with other feats of fearless activity in no time.

Little Lew.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry! Poor little guy.

Unknown said...

I think Heather and I will need a reality makeover in order for us to see one another.

Unknown said...

that's a "reality makeover SHOW"...