Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Blame Canada

Eliot and I were scheduled to depart for Kingston, Ontario via Syracuse, New York very very early tomorrow morning. Due to my cousin Emily's sanity melting around her as a result of a very traumatic move, we will be postponing our visit again. While I'm sad to have to wait any longer to see my beloved cousin and mommy mentor, I am a bit relieved to let go of the stress that came along with planning a trip to a foreign country with a toddler. Sans Justin. ALONE.

The pressure was waking me up at five a.m. with important questions like, "How many diapers should I bring?" and "What snacks should I pack?" or more importantly, "What if we miss our connection in Philadelphia?" or "What if they won't let us into or out of the country?" and "What if a polar bear attacks us when we cross the border?" (That last one was really for Emily, as I'm sure she never tires of all my Canada is really cold, full of wilderness, teaming with large wild animals, covered in red flannel and beaver pelts, etc.)

So a reprieve from the planning stress for now. I know it doesn't compare to Emily's current stress of a 'new' house filled with: plaster dust, boxes, unpainted rooms, existing lead paint, a serious furniture deficiency, and other previously undiscovered dangers, all ready for her three boys to find via cuts, bruises and poisoning leading to possible brain damage. And I promise to help her organize and go house shopping while we drink lattes and eat Indian food next month when we finally make it up there. That should help heal the pain, right?

Just in case you forgot what he looked like.

7 comments:

Elizabeth Frick said...

You know... you're really taking this "cousin in Canada" thing a bit far. Give up the charade already!

Astrid Rose said...

I'm gonna fight that elizabeth frick girl....

Heather said...

That pretty tough talk for an imaginary cousin! ;)

Kate said...

wow, you've officially reached celebrity status in blog-land. you've got people picking fights in your comments. awesome! : )

Elizabeth Frick said...

Listen "Emily" - I may be small, but I'm scrappy! And motivated... BRING IT ON!

Heather said...

I chuckle at the thought of you two in a spit and scratch fight. It's really unnecessary; there's enough of me to go around ladies, put your nails away.

:)

Anonymous said...

you are soooo popular!
hey, now you can come visit elizabeth and i at Strange Folk this weekend!
canada is no longer the excuse.