Thursday, August 2, 2007

Hot Buttered Poop.

As promised, this post will be about the subject that consumes most of my waking thoughts - the size, smell, and texture of Eliot's poop. Enchanting, isn't it?

I can't say that I didn't enjoy a little toilet humor pre-baby. I did. But having a baby takes these conversations from a beer-in-a-can fueled barbeque type environment right into everyday polite conversation. Justin and I have talked about baby poop while eating. That would be completely gross and inappropriate under other circumstances. But when it is your baby, well, you talk about a lot of things you normally wouldn't - rashes, snot, vomiting (see previous post), ear wax, foreskins, nipples - leaking and otherwise, etc. And I find it all fascinating.

I just had to stop writing this post to change a poopy diaper. No joke. Thank you for your patience.

I have to say, Justin is a real champ when it comes to changing these stink bombs. It wasn't so much of a big deal when Eliot was exclusively breastfed. When he was a newborn, we thought his poop was kind of caramel-y smelling. Nearly pleasant. Not so much anymore. Now that bananas, pears, and sweet potatoes have been introduced to his palette, we are dealing with an entirely different situation. The first time we opened a 'solid foods' diaper, we were both in utter shock. It was like a large strange man entered our home without our knowledge, took off E's diaper, took the dump of a lifetime in it, and put it back on him. What I'm saying is, this is man poop. It's unfathomable that a baby, our baby, could produce such horrors.

Justin has decided that this new stink is so unbearable due to it's 'butteriness'. Now, when I think of 'buttery' smells I think of popcorn, toast, gooey butter cakes, etc. Yum, right? But for Justin, this 'butteriness' must be the spread on a steaming pile of garbage. I don't see it. Or smell it. That's probably good, as if I did, I don't know that I could ever enjoy anything ever containing butter ever ever again.

I won't even get started on the nightmare that is these man-like baby poops in a cloth diaper; you don't even want to know.


Don't worry Mommy, it's just number one.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Just how many loads of laundry do you do a day while using these cloth diapers H?

Heather said...

I do one load (washed twice and dried) every other day. Easy-peasy!

Anonymous said...

oh the days, wait...i'm still having those days! the poop gets worse with the more human food you give them! but it gets better when you can just shake it off into the toilet. fyi, you are also supposed to shake the poop into the toilet when you use a disposable diaper. it's on the directions on the box. human waste in landfills is a huge problems because of disposable diapers! talk soon, jj

Astrid Rose said...

Ahhh. Poop. I used to get sicked-out when pooped touched my hands. Not so much anymore since I'm actually touching it at least four times a day (sometimes five). I'm not joking. My baby poops that much. I think it's hereditary as the others also pooped constantly so watch-out for that pooping gene. With any luck it will skip sweet Eliot.

Astrid Rose said...

PS: I can no longer eat corn. You'll soon learn why.

Qtpies7 said...

Oooh I love it! BumGenius are my favorite cloth diapers!
I am having a give-away for some cloth diaper laundry detergent on my blog.

I wash my cloth with two rinses, a warm wash (I have the old bumGenius) and two rinses. It is so easy to cloth diaper, I wonder what all the fuss was about?? I love it and would never go back to sposies.